MY RECANT & PORTRAIT OF A TRUE BLOOD NIGERIAN & A MAVERICK SANUSI LAMIDO SANUSI: MY JOURNEY INTO HIS “HEAD”




I had been dillydallying on completing this post I started over a week ago, what with preparations to relocate from our present place of abode and its attendant hassles. Its completion therefore is credited to the adrenaline rush I had in the wake of the viral BB broadcasts of the past 24hours with news of SLS and his millions of Naira largesse to victims of the Kano bombings. Although I am not sure if the claim has been authenticated, but whatever is the case, the content was disturbing. In the broadcasts that were obviously driven by a hefty dose of ethnic and religious sentiments, people more or else asked for his head on a platter, citing his partiality to his Northern brethren and his insensitivity in not considering the plight of victims of a similar National incident in a Church in Madalla on Christmas Day, 2011. I am quite certain that if this sort of news had come a week or so earlier, I would have joined the mob and be first to demand for Sanusi’s head. However with hindsight now, I will not make any pronouncements on this issue, but would rather seek to know and understand his actions
. Perhaps if you take the time to go through this piece, you would understand things more clearly......... Enjoy reading as much as I did writing...

Riding on the crest of one of my recent blog posts, where I referred to Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as ‘loose lipped’ owing to what I considered unguarded statements credited to him that where capable of further heating up the polity and at best making him out to be a closet sympathiser of the cause of the Boko Haram; I was further aggravated by statements supposedly credited to him in which he blamed the South West for the Nation’s problems. My first reaction was, “Haba! What is wrong with this man? Why won’t he just let up in his plans to totally destabilise the polity”.  As a matter of fact, my first reaction was to immediately write something scathing to “put him in his place”; I mean why would he say two damning things in such quick succession? I wondered.   Just as I was about to start clicking away, a thought crept into my mind; the same line of reasoning that has always kept me in good stead at times that I would otherwise have gone off on a tangent in testy situations. That same niggling feeling that always afforded me the liberty of getting into relationships and alliances with people without the prejudice of preconceived notion based on second hand assessment. With the benefit of hindsight now, I have come to realise that whenever I pay heed to that feeling, I am always the better for it. So, there I was in deep thought and deciding there and then that there most certainly must be more to the character of Lamido than meets the eye.

Rather than open a new blog post and start clicking away as I had intended, I opened a couple of search engine browsers and decided to make Sanusi Lamido Sanusi the object of my research. Of course I was nonplussed to see uncomplimentary articles and tirades from readers (he deserved evry bit of the insults I thought) about his conduct and legendary lack of diplomacy in controversial events like the “Un Repentant truth saga” between him and members of the lower legislature, with his refusal to apologise being a hot topic for weeks especially on Social Media and his criticism of his predecessor Charles Soludo’s tenure in a 23-page convocation lecture titled, “The Nigerian Banking Industry: What Went Wrong and the Way Forward” he delivered at the Convocation Ceremony of Bayero University Kano; in which he lambasted the consolidation as a failure, stating that it only  helped to create bigger banks while it failed to overcome the fundamental weakness in corporate governance in many banks. I stumbled on a lot of forums where his different supposedly inflammatory, tribalistic and often times downright condescending statements were analysed and I must confess I haven’t seen that much vitriol and invectives poured on anyone as those heaped on Sanusi who many referred to as a Bigot.
Suffice it to say, I had seen enough and was suitably justified in so far as my earlier held impression of him had now been corroborated by the evidence of the reports I had just finished reading. Not only was I right in giving him “what not” for openly dissing a Government he is a part of, but also I could now safely say he was totally all that he was accused of being or so I thought;   anyway, just as I was about settling down to write the scathing commentary I had planned from the beginning, whereby putting a lid on the matter of his rabblerousing once and for all; I happened upon a link titled “The articles of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi”. Curiosity got the better of me for no other reason other than the fact that up until now, all the ‘nasty tribal jabs’ credited to him, where done in such a way to suggest that he uttered them pretty recently give or take few weeks or at most few months prior to his remarks about the disparity between the North and South being a major contributing factor to the BH insurgence or after as suggested by the reports on his statement that the “South West is cause of the Nation’s problem”. With this in mind, the decision to read his articles was a no brainer; because I not only wanted to, I needed to.

I guess for some reason or the other, fate had decided that Sanusi was to have a fair hearing in ‘my court’ that day, because though I set out to read his articles for the singular purpose of further buttressing my opinion of him; I spent the next three hours enthralled as I read every word of his different articles dating back to the early 90’s; and in all honesty, thus began my education on the study of the man I would call from here on, an Enigma. A convoluted Character with a whirling mass of contradictions surrounding him is one of the simplest ways I can attempt to capture his essence as derived from reading his articles.
Having passed a verdict on him as a tribal warlord, it therefore was a contradiction of sorts for me to read his articles. The first one I read was  SHARIACRACY IN NIGERIA to say I was stunned is an understatement. I wondered if this was written by the same person that I easily regarded as a "Saul" out to persecute Christians, but little did I know, that there was more in store. In his  “Afenifere: Syllabus of Errors" (1998), he does not disguise his disdain for the attitude of the North and the West towards the Igbo; hear him:  “The Northern Bourgeoisie and the Yoruba Bourgeoisie have conspired to keep the Igbo out of the scheme of things. They have exacted their pound of flesh from the Igbos. For one Sardauna, one Tafawa Balewa, one Akintola and one Okotie-Eboh, hundreds of thousands have died and suffered. In the recent transition when the Igbo solidly supported the PDP in the hope of an Ekwueme presidency, the North and South-West treated this as a Biafra agenda. Every rule set for the primaries, every gentleman´s agreement was set aside to ensure that Obasanjo, not Ekwueme emerged as the candidate. Things went as far as getting the Federal Government to hurriedly gazette a pardon. Now, with this government, the marginalistion of the Igbo is more complete than ever before. The Igbos have taken all these quietly because, they reason, they brought it upon themselves. But the nation is sitting on a time-bomb.... ”
 

Similarly, in “The Igbo, the Yoruba and History" (1999) his words where so on in tune with someone whose fingers where constantly feeling the pulse of the Nation and could detect every little flutter; hear him, “One marvels at the never-ending cycle which sees Southern Politicians play into the hands of their northern counterparts.  For a people who take pride in the depth of their Western Education and who have often expressed contempt for the "backwardness" and "illiteracy" of their northern brothers, southern politicians have presented to the world the ever-present proof that "book - knowledge" and intelligence are not necessarily correlated. One recalls Chief Awolowo's description of Shagari as a "glorified Grade Two Teacher". It was missing on Awolowo' that the more contemptible the adjectives he used to describe Shagari, the lower he sank in the eyes of perceptive watchers, as the man he was describing had clearly shown that he was better by defeating him in a race both participated in from start to finish.”. I this piece he also expressed his frustration on the ethnic colourations we give to issues of leadership. Hear him speak on Abacha: “Abacha was a corrupt, ruthless dictator - period. Where he was from is immaterial. All Nigerians, Northerners and Southerners, Muslim and Christians, suffered from the corruption and injustices of his regime with the exception of a small band of family members, sycophants and traitors who joined him in looting  the coffers of our nation”. Those who stood against his tyranny and spoke out for freedom and equity suffered: among them Obasanjo, Yar Adua, Abiola, Rimi, Ige, Lamido, Nwakwo and Ken Sarowiwa.... Abacha was no respecter of region or religion and that he represented the least form of humanity degenerating dangerously close to bestiality, which is why, like Pharaoh, he is remembered today for his evil...” 
He further reiterates the need for shunning tribal politics: “The lesson in all this is that the Igbo, Yoruba and all Nigerians must learn by now that no one can win a national election on a tribal platform. Those clamouring to join Ojukwu's Igbo party, and those attempting to transform Afenifere/NADECO into a tribal party are heading for a resounding defeat at the polls”. I was kind of floored to see him write albeit sincerely of the possibility of a southern president even way before any one of southern extraction could have believed it possible. Hear him; “The presidency can, and perhaps should, move to the south. But it will be to
a southerner who contests on the platform of Nigeria, not of his tribe. A southerner committed to the system, to the rule of law and to the principles of peace, justice, equity and freedom, not of avenging real or imagined wrongs; a Southerner like Chief Abiola who stands the chance of winning.”


Well into the second hour, of reading the works of this maverick, it dawned on me that a common sentiment seemed to resonate throughout most of his articles. A sentiment that seemed to readily evoke in him the need to instinctively distance himself from his aristocratic back, hardcore religious background. Sanusi seemed to endlessly “push” the other ethnic groups in the Country to rise from their slumber. He struck a blow at the feudal system in the North; a blow that almost cost him his life when he wrote 'The Adulteress' Diary' in 2001. To say I was bowled over by the article would be an understatement. Laced with a splattering of explicit vocabulary that run through the work; a license he considered expedient to convey the magnitude of the message of the article, it I was an expose openly criticising what he considered the hypocrisy of Northern oligarchies following the death (by stoning) sentence passed on Safiya Husseini under Sharia Law. At this point I began to wonder if Sanusi’s agenda as I hitherto thought, was way beyond what I had adjudged an ethnic agenda. I honestly could not reconcile the person I thought he was with the persona that was slowly unfolding before my eyes as I read on. The surprises kept coming even as I digested more of his articles.

In THE MILK OF HUMAN KINDNESS: An Intellectual Engagement with the Intellectually Challenged (March 2002)”a controversial article in which he tore to shreds an  article "Muslim Intellectuals and the Sharia Debate in Nigeria written by Danladi Adamu Mohammed; itself a rejoinder to an earlier article by Sanusi entitled "The Politicisation of Ontological Questions: Discourses, Subjectivities and Muslim Family Law in Nigeria." The crux of the matter being that Adamu considered Sanusi’s latter article as an aberration to the tenets of Islam and summarily passed a verdict branding Sanusi “an arrogant secularist who aims to destabilise the noble edifice of northern Muslim society; a pretender to being a reformer in the league of Dan Fodio; an agent of the West and dealer in usury; a Marxist who places reason above revelation and a presumptuous critic who relies on "off the wall" jurists like Ibn Hazm.” A definite must read in his retinue of articles that set off alarm bells in my head is “BUHARISM AS FASCISM: Engaging Balarabe Musa” Feb 2003. His words may have probably rang true for that period, since he was analysing the prospects of an OBJ second term against a Buhari challenge in the run up to the 2003 Presidential polls; hear him; “We have to choose, like it or not, between a failure and a fascist....four more years of Obasanjo/Atiku on the one hand, and Buhari on the other. History demands of us that we make that choice and history will judge us appropriately. As for me, I have made my choice. Buhari is not perfect, but he has my vote”This words certainly left me with feelings of trepidation to imagine what his honest thoughts were in the choice between a GEJ government, he serves currently, and a Buhari government. I am sure someday we would hear or read his thoughts, but for now I want to believe that in his silence on the matter, Lamido does know when to leave well alone.
On the reactions his articles elicit from the North, Sanusi has had this to say;"It is very common for a writer to be labelled a "traitor" to "the North" or "Muslims" for taking a position at variance with the fantasies of a sentiment- driven eclectic consciousness” Whilst not trying to sway opinion as to the true position of the ethnic/political inclinations of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, I can unashamedly admit that I now have a better understanding of the man. Akin to eating humble pie, considering my earlier article, however I can safely say I allowed him his day in “court”.Rather than write him off a Bigot, I choose (riding on the crest of his thoughts as captured in his articles), to see him more in the mould of a Marxist; which would hardly be far from the truth when one considers that he is a protege of the late Bala Usman and a respecter of the intellectual integrity of the anti oligarchical Marxist, the late Bala Mohammed (assassinated through arson by a hired mob "protesting" the querying of the  Emir by then radical Governor Abubakar Rimi in whose administration Bala Mohammed served as political adviser). 

The deal clincher for me, where his remarks at the book launch for Sir Olaniwun Ajayi's "Nigeria, Africa’s Failed Asset”,  Sanusi according to reports, posed a thought provoking question “Are we truly ready to develop and unite Nigeria”? He further went on to state to the stunned audience; "Let me start by saying that I am Fulani (laughter). My grandfather was an Emir and therefore I represent all that has been talked about this afternoon. Sir Ajayi has written a book. And like all Nigerians of his generation, he has written in the language of his generation....My grandfather was a Northerner, I am a Nigerian. The problem with this country is that in 2009, we speak in the language of 1953. Sir Olaniwun can be forgiven for the way he spoke, but I cannot forgive people of my generation speaking in that language”. If the majority like me choose to tread the path of objectivity; I am certain if you take time to read his body of work, that there would certainly be a resounding consensus that his words though raw are often times the ‘inconvenient truth.’

ARTICLES BY SANUSI LAMIDO SANUSI

1.                    1.    The Igbos, The Yoruba and History http://www.dawodu.com/sanusi.htm
14.    BUHARISM
1   15.     THE MILK OF HUMAN KINDNESS An Intellectual Engagement with the Intellectually Challenged


Comments

Popular Posts