Letter to my husband on our 16th Wedding Anniversary : 27th of April 2012.




Enyi and I; 16 years ago and 16 years on

My Dearest Enyi,

Today the 27th of April 2012 is our 16th wedding anniversary. In many cultures the Sixteenth year is declared a year of passage; a year that marks the transition into adulthood. I dare say that as the clock struck a millisecond past 12 midnight about half an hour ago, thus begun the transition of this marriage into a new phase; that of adulthood.
 For the past 16 years you have continued to carry out albeit with patience, understanding, firmness but with gentleness the task of unravelling the mystery of this woman you took as wife that sunny Saturday at the Christ Church Interdenominational Church, Port Harcourt. Many have never quite understood our marriage; where others would have clipped the wings of the independent career woman they married, you rather provided me with a greater gust of wind beneath my wings to soar to heights unimaginable. You understood that being a free spirit was an essential part of who I was back then.

Truth be told, it could only have taken a man like you to make me the woman I am today. Enyi, I am at a better place haven risen to heights of maturity because of the man you are. I remember waking up in tears the morning of our wedding at Uncle’s place here in PH. I was inconsolable because I realised in a few hours I would be walking down the aisle on the arms of my brother and not my Daddy as I had always dreamt. Daddy as you knew, had been taken from us in a freak accident just two years before in the same month of April and the pain was still raw, I cried while my mum did the best she could to comfort me. She told me something back then that I will tell you later this morning before you leave for the office. Her words offered me comfort in a strange way and even over the years whenever I lost my way in the marriage I always remembered those words.
Walking down the aisle with my brother
Walking down the aisle a few hours later on Brother Olu’s arm I had a spring in my step. I knew we had chosen right, I felt that we had everything under control and marriage to you, my best buddy would be a breeze. But what I didnt bargain for were the challenges that lay ahead.

Enyi taking his vows
Enyi, as you well know, the early years were beautiful, and some years after that less than wonderful, We went through a major trial that would have floored the strongest of couples, We didn't imagine that we'd encounter such pain on our journey together. Maybe if we did, who knows one of us would have opted out, but thankfully, through it all, the third strand in that threefold cord Reverend Tee tied round our wrists that fateful day was always there as our ever Present Help in time of troubles.. Though it was one of those things we'd never choose to go through, you took your vows seriously and just as you promised to stand by me through thick and thin in the event of a 'worse', you did just that. I wouldn't trade in any of those experiences in for the world; yes, there were lessons to be learned but all in all, it made us stronger and has led us to where we are today; but I certainly wil not want to relive any part of it. 
The last three years have been years of Evident Grace and looking back, I would say we have had  an amazing adventure so far and have a story that I look forward to having in print someday to serve as a testimony of God’s goodness.
Truth be told, there is no one I would rather have this adventure with other than you Enyi.

Happy Anniversary and a warm welcome to marriage adulthood, to the Love of my life, my best friend, My Husband, Father of our four wonderful children and the one I know I COMPLETE.
It is my Prayer that God’s Grace continues in our affairs.

OUR REWARD, OUR HERITAGE

Your Wife
NenehCooks
PS:

I hope you don't mind me sharing this letter with my online family.  And I promise that as we step into our 17th year, I will learn to speak Ibo.

Comments

  1. Aww, this is so kool! Congratulations on ur anniversary. Wishing u many more years of love and fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Çongratulations My Neneh and her dear Enyi! It is no joke and we give God all the glory. I love that you made it through a deep challenge.....as my mgm tell ourselves too, as hard as it seems, it goes to show the character of your union. But you are right, I too would rather not have lived through it...but God is sovereign. I brag on him for decreeing that your marriage will stand the test time to enter into marriage adulthood. Congrats to you both. Igbosa! Igbosa!! Igbosa!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. QB, xoxoxoxoxoxo. you are sorely missed. reemerge to touch hearts Love you Always . Your Neneh

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts